About Mark Fitzgerald
Before founding Digital Darkroom in Portland, Oregon in 2002, I spent many years working in and consulting for professional photolabs. Now in the role of Photoshop, Lightroom, and digital workflow expert I work with all sorts of photographers on a daily basis.These life experiences combined give me a unique view of the photography world.
As a teacher and author I am committed to helping photographers thrive in our ever-changing photographic paradigm. I work hard to present information in an organized manner using easy to understand language. Whether you’re a seasoned pro, a serious hobbyist, or even someone new to photography, I can help you take your photography to the next level.
My love of photography is the thing that brought me to this point in my life. I purchased my first “real” camera when I was a teenager and have been involved in photography ever since. I’ve done all sorts of commercial photography, from architecture to album covers, but my current specialty is industrial fine-art photography. You can see samples of my award-winning work at my photography page.
Summary of Professional Accomplishments
- Current Member of Oregon Professional Photographers Association
- Current Member of Professional Photographers of America
- Recommended Speaker for American Society of Media Photographers
- Master of Photography Degree awarded by Professional Photographers of America
- Photographic Craftsman Degree awarded by Professional Photographers of America
- Certified Professional Photographer awarded by Professional Photographers of America
- Diamond Photographic Fellow awarded by Oregon Professional Photographers Association.
- Past President and Founding Board Member Oregon Professional Photographers Association
- Past President Portland Metropolitan Photographers Association
- Served on the Professional Photographers of America Governing Council 2013 – 2015
- Recipient of the Professional Photographers of America National Award
- Oregon Professional Photographers Association Member of the Year 2016, 2017 & 2018
- American Society of Photographers State Elite Award 2016, 2018 and 2019
- Best Commercial/Illustrative Division Winner for OPPA Quarterly Competitions 2015, 2016 & 2017
- OPPA Photographic Open Best Digital Artist 2018
- OPPA Photographic Open Best Commercial & Illustrative 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Gold Medal – PPA Photographic Open Competition 2012 & 2017
- Silver Medal – PPA Photographic Open Competition 2016 & 2018
- Bronze Medal – PPA Photographic Open Competition 2013 & 2019
- Artist Award (Best of Show) 2015 Art Contemplates Industry
- Top-ten finalist 2015 PPA Grand Imaging Awards in the Commercial/Architecture and Landscape categories
- Best of Show and Best Case 2013 PMPA Open Photographic Competition
- PMPA Photographer of the Year 2011 & 2012
- Best of Show with a perfect score of 100 in the 2011 PPA Western District Photographic Competition
- Photography Director for Young Musicians & Artists Summer Arts Camp 2014-2017
- Twelve years as Instructor at Newspace Center for Photography in Portland, OR., 2004-2017
- Author of 6 books for Wiley Publishing, including “Zen of Postprodution” and “Photoshop CS5 Restoration and Retouching for Digital Photographers Only”
I’m always happy to speak to area photo associations and camera clubs when my schedule permits. Contact me if you’re interested in having me present to your group.