About Mark Fitzgerald
Before founding The Digital Darkroom in 2002, I spent twenty years working in and consulting for professional photolabs. Now as a Photoshop, Lightroom, and digital workflow expert I work with all sorts of photographers on a daily basis.This gives me a view of the photography world that few people get to experience.
As a teacher and author, I am committed to helping photographers thrive in our ever-changing Photographic paradigm. I work hard to present information in an organized manner using easy to understand language. Whether you’re a seasoned pro, or a serious hobbyist, I can help you take your photography to the next level.
My love of photography is the thing that brought me to this point in my life. I purchased my first camera when I was 18 and have been involved in photography ever since. I’ve done all sorts of commercial photography, from architecture to album covers, but my current specialty is industrial fine-art photography. You can see samples of my award-winning work in the galleries section.
- Master of Photography Degree awarded by Professional Photographers of America.
- Photographic Craftsman Degree awarded by Professional Photographers of America.
- Photographic Fellow awarded by Oregon Professional Photographers Association.
- Past President and Founding Board Member Oregon Professional Photographers Association.
- Past President Portland Metropolitan Photographers Association.
- Member of American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP).
- Served on the Professional Photographers of America Governing Council 2013 – 2015.
- Recipient of the Professional Photographers of America National Award.
- Oregon Professional Photographers Association Member of the Year 2016.
- American Society of Photographers State Elite Award 2016.
- Best Commercial/Illustrative Division Winner for OPPA Quarterly Competitions 2015 & 2016.
- Artist Award (Best of Show) 2015 Art Contemplates Industry.
- Top-ten finalist 2015 PPA Grand Imaging Awards in the Commercial/Architecture and Landscape categories.
- Best of Show and Best Case 2013 PMPA Open Photographic Competition.
- PMPA Photographer of the Year 2011 & 2012.
- Best of Show with a perfect score of 100 in the 2011 PPA Western District Photographic Competition.
- Photography Director for Young Musicians & Artists Summer Arts Camp 2014 – 2017.
- Juror at Exhibitions Without Walls. See Mark’s interview here.
- Instructor at Newspace Center for Photography in Portland, OR. since 2004.
- Adobe Certified Photoshop Expert since 2004.
- FAA Certified Commercial Drone Pilot (FAA Part 107 sUAS Remote Pilot).
I’m always happy to speak to area photo associations and camera clubs when my schedule permits. Contact me if you’re interested in having me present to your group. Click here for contact information.