- This event has passed.
Understanding Color & How to Use It to Express Your Creative Vision
April 2, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm UTC-8$199
The complexity of color is often overlooked by photographers. Most understand the basic concepts of how to adjust color during post production, but they don’t often consider the effects the colors in a photo have on one another or how they impact the look and feel of their images.
This is a special two-session version of this class. The first session is Saturday April 2 10am-1pm PST. The second class is the following Saturday, April 9, 10am-1pm. It will take you deep into the world of color for an exploration of the technical aspects of color, as well as the emotional impact color can have in a photo. After this class you will never look at color the same, in your photos or the world around you. Subjects include but are not limited to:
Week 1: Exploring Concepts
- Understanding the scientific and emotional components of color
- How vision and color perception influence our experience of it
- Understanding simultaneous contrast and how it influenced early impressionist painting
- Why it’s important for photographers to master subtractive color theory
- Exploring the importance of adding color to deep shadows
- Comparing and contrasting color schemes; Monochrome, Analogous, Complimentary, Split Complementary, etc.
- Creating color harmony and its effect on the viewer
- Student assignment
Week 2: From Concept to Practice
- Comparing color models and color spaces
- Methods for color evaluation in Lightroom Classic and Photoshop
- Color correction vs. color grading, which should you be doing?
- Comparing and contrasting the many ways to adjust color in Lightroom Classic and Photoshop
- Global color correction vs. local color correction techniques
This class will be held online using Zoom. It will be an interactive meeting where you will still be able to participate and ask questions.
-Handout links will be sent to students prior to class.
-A recording of the class will be available to students after the class.
* If you’re not able to attend, by registering you will still receive a link to the recorded class.
* There is a minimum number of students required for this class to happen. If the class does not meet the minimum requirements, class will be canceled one week prior.